Basic data about Pilot 2011
- 3.5L 24-valve SOHC V6 engin
- five-speed automatic transmission
- 250 horsepower
- 253 pound-feet of torque
- four-wheel-drive models are rated 16/22 miles per gallon
Honda Pilot is a midsize “crossover” sport-utility vehicle. The Pilot is available in four trim levels: LX, EX, EX-L and Touring. All Pilot models are powered by the same 3.5L 24-valve SOHC V6 engine/five-speed automatic transmission combination. The 3.5L V6 engine generates 250 horsepower and 253 pound-feet of torque. With Honda’s Variable Cylinder Management function, which can shut down some of the engine’s cylinders during low-power highway operation, the two-wheel-drive Pilot models are rated at 17 miles per gallon city and 23 highway, while four-wheel-drive models are rated 16/22, respectively.
Servicing the Pilot
The Pilot is equipped with Honda’s Maintenance Minder system, which displays engine oil life and maintenance service items on the information display or MID, depending on model, to show drivers when they need to have service performed.
Honda’s Maintenance Minder system shows the vehicle’s maintenance needs in a series of codes. The codes will begin with the letter “A” or “B” to indicate the maintenance main item, followed by one or more of the numerals “1” through “6” to indicate the maintenance sub items.
Maintenance - Main Items
A – Means to replace just engine oil.
B – Means to replace engine oil and oil filter. Also inspect various systems and components (see applicable service manual for details):
- Replace engine oil and filter.
- Inspect front and rear brakes.
- Check parking brake adjustment.
- Inspect tie-rod ends, steering gear box and boots.
- Inspect suspension components.
- Inspect driveshaft boots.
- Inspect brake hoses and lines.
- Inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids.
- Inspect exhaust system.
- Inspect fuel lines and connections.
Engine oil should be changed every 12 months even if the SERVICE message has not appeared.
Maintenance - Sub Items
Honda uses the following numerals to indicate the following services are required.
- Rotate tires.
- Replace air cleaner element. (Note: Honda recommends replacing element every 15,000 miles or 24,000 km if the vehicle is driven in dusty conditions.)
- Replace dust and pollen filter. (Note: Honda recommends replacing filter every 15,000 miles or 24,000 km if the vehicle is driven in urban areas with high concentrations of soot from industry and diesel vehicles.)
- Inspect drive belt.
- Replace transmission and transfer case fluid.
- Replace spark plugs.
- Replace timing belt and inspect water pump. (Note: Honda recommends replacing timing belt every 60,000 miles or 100,000 km if the vehicle is regularly driven in very high temperatures above 110° F/43° C or very low temperatures below minus-20° F/minus-29° C, or towing a trailer.)
- Inspect valve clearance.
- Replace engine coolant.
- Replace rear differential fluid. (Note: Honda recommends changing the rear differential fluid at 7,500 miles/12,000 km then every 15,000 miles/24,000 km if the vehicle is driven in mountainous areas at very low speeds or used to tow a trailer.)
- Honda recommends replacing brake fluid every three years, regardless of mileage or maintenance messages in the information display.
- Inspect idle speed every 160,000 miles/256,000 km.
- 15% means service is due soon. Plan to take vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.
- 5% Means service is due now. Take vehicle in now for scheduled maintenance as soon as possible.
- 0% Means service is past due (Mileage past due is also shown). Service is overdue. Take vehicle in now for scheduled maintenance.
Fluids and Capacities
Capacity (with filter) is 4.5 quarts (4.3 liters).
The oil drain bolt needs 17mm socket, and should be tightened to 29 pound-feet (39 N-m) of torque.
Honda Long-life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 or equivalent;
50/50 mixture with water.
Capacity (coolant change only) is 1.98 gallons (7.5 liters). Capacity (full system) is 2.48 gallons (9.4 liters).
Automatic transmission fluid
Honda ATF-DW1 (ATF-Z1 is discounted by Honda).
Capacity (change only) is 3.6 quarts (3.4 liters). Capacity (full system) is 8.6 quarts (8.1 liters).
Rear differential fluid
Honda VTM-4 differential fluid.
Capacity is 2.96 quarts (2.8 liters).
Transfer case fluid (four-wheel-drive models only)
SAE 90 or 80W-90 gear oil meeting GL4 or GL5 standards. Capacity is 0.45 quarts (0.43 liters).
DOT3 brake fluid. (Note: DOT4 may be used as a temporary replacement.)
Power steering fluid
Honda Power Steering Fluid or equivalent.
Torque and washer
18mm ATF Drain Plug Washer 90471-PX4-000 (36 ft/lbs)
24mm ATF Fill Washer 90441-PK4-000 (33 ft/lbs)
18mm VTM-4 Drain Plug Washer 90471-PX4-000 (35 ft/lbs)
20mm VTM-4 Fill Washer 94109-20000 (35 ft/lbs)
20mm Transfer Case Drain/Fill Washer 94109-20000 (33 ft/lbs)